Natural oils are used for different purposes. Due to numerous vitamins and minerals, antibacterial and antifungal properties, they are referred to as multi-purpose substances. Coconut oil is one of them. Today it helps to get rid of acne and stretch marks, deals with hair loss and planters warts. Shaving with coconut oil is a comparatively new option that is getting popular day by day. When you want to improve the choice of products and ingredients that come in contact with your skin, use this natural moisturizer and deodorant.
Why Give up Mass-Produced Shaving Cream and Choose Shaving with Coconut Oil?
Popular creams for shaving contain chemicals and additives. It is a real surprise for most users that the greater part of all well-advertised goods has cancer-causing chemicals among main ingredients (mainly unnatural foaming agents and petroleum byproducts). When there’s an alternative, one shouldn’t expose skin to harsh chemicals. More and more experts suggest creating own creams using simple ingredients.
Main Benefits of Shaving with Coconut Oil
What should we better start with? This natural compound has more than a single benefit, which is why shaving with coconut oil is beneficial (sorry for tautology). There are a few things we’d like to pay your attention to:
- It is absolutely safe for the largest body’s organ – skin. There are no chemicals that this oil brings with. It means that there’s nothing you should be afraid of.
- It is cheap. A quite common idea looks like this: effective products are very expensive and most users can’t afford them. Coconut oil breaks the rule. Commercial products do cost a lot. But every time you choose shaving with coconut oil, you choose great effects that are also cheap.
- It is a moisturizer. No need to use extra moisturizers when shaving. This saves a lot of time, especially when you need to hurry up. So here’s what you do: slather-shave-go.
- It has an amazing smell. No advertised cream can compare to what this oil offers!
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties. This benefit works for those, whose skin is prone to razor burn.
Shaving with Coconut Oil: Making the Cream
To start with, making it is easy. There are a few ingredients that you need to mix:
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Aloe vera – ¼ cup
- Essential oil – 4-6 drops (lavender, tea tree or peppermint).
Melt the oil and combine it with other ingredient. Stir all the compounds together and store them in a plastic container. When shaving, apply a very thin layer of cream to the skin; let it stir for 2 minutes. Within this time the ingredients will make hair softer and moisturize your skin. No skin irritation or razor burn must be expected. If you choose to add drops of lavender oil, it will ensure a soothing effect, peppermint – give a cooling sensation, tea tree oil – become the best antiseptic while you’re shaving with coconut oil. Chamomile oil and rose essential oil may be added too. They both provide a soothing and anti-aging effect.
It is natural for the homemade cream to separate or harden between uses. If the same happens to your natural solution, place a plastic container under the shower stream and wait till it warms up. Always store a container in a cool place.
Some men advise adding vitamin E to the cream. It works prolonging the shelf life of the product.
Pre-Instead-After Guide for Men on Shaving with Coconut Oil
- For pre shave
Use warm water to soften facial hair. Some males take a shower before any oil is applied. Others soak a towel in warm water and apply it to the skin for about 2 or 3 minutes. Take some coconut oil or homemade cream, rub it between your palms and massage the face with the solution until the area is fully covered. With time you will manage to figure out what amount of it is enough for you. Until that time don’t take too little or too much of it.
Apply the lather after that. You can use either a shaving brush or hands. The former option is much better.
- Instead of gel or cream
The preparation process will be pretty much the same as the one mentioned above. Apply oil on a damp face and wait for a minute. Start shaving. When the coconut oil is already gone, do not make passes. For some males a single pass is not enough. If you are on the list, use warm water to wash your face off. Apply the oil once again and make a few more passes. After you’re done, wash off with a small amount of cold water. Why cold? It will close pores after shaving with coconut oil. Your face will be clean both from hair and oil.
- After shave
Wash the lather remnants off your face in case you used a commercial product for shaving. Dry your face with a clean towel and make sure no water drops are left. Scrape some coconut oil, melt it between your palms and massage onto your face until it is not greasy. As the face is well-moisturized and around 90% of oil is absorbed, the task is completed!
Guide for Women on Shaving with Coconut Oil
Not only males but also females can use coconut oil for shaving. How to shave with coconut oil if you’re a woman? If you want the skin of your legs be soft and protected, here is what you should do:
- Place a small container with the oil in the shower. It will melt even at a fairy moderate temperature. If you are taking a shower yourself, your skin will absorb the product better.
- Use a damp towel to remove the greater part of water from your legs.
- Step out of the shower or turn it off.
- Take a small amount of coconut oil and coat each leg with a thin layer of it. We suggest using not more than a single teaspoon for each leg.
- Start shaving your legs as you do it usually.
- The razor you use should be rinsed off rather frequently.
- After shaving, wash your legs with warm water.
- Do not rub the skin, just pat it dry. Otherwise all the benefits of shaving with coconut oil will vanish.
- Some women take more oil to moisturize their dry skin better.
Recommendation #1: for an extra soft skin you need to exfoliate the upper layer with a scrub. There are many DIY scrubs that include oil, sugar or salt and extra ingredients for fragrance. This is the simplest way to make skin look and feel silky.
Recommendation #2: use a sharp razor only. Why? It usually allows getting a very close shave and escaping razor burn risks as the areas aren’t to be repeated over and over again. In-between the passes you need to rinse the blade or wipe it on a damp washcloth.
Are there any warnings? Well, people, who follow a brand new shaving recommendation for the very first time, may experience a very fast absorbent within the upper skin layers. That’s not a problem. What you need to do is to apply more oil to the skin. This solution is regarded as a natural anti-oxidant, so your skin will need much time to detox from commercial products (foams, creams, and gels). Nevertheless, the look gets fresher and healthier after the very first use.
So, do you really need all those expensive creams and gels to shave? They may be pricey and modern but they bring more drawbacks than benefits. Coconut oil is the only natural solution that is both cheap and highly effective. Shaving with coconut oil is another step to a healthy and beautiful skin!